Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Operation Giving Back


Operation Giving back

When I was younger my family had a fire at our house. Our church family, friends and neighbors stepped in to help us in our time of need. As a kid it was really unsettling. In times like these I tend to go a bit numb. Not sure if I should cry, scream, run, fight, hide or what, I simply tend to shut down. Crawl inside and watch what happens around me. I don't think as the oldest of five that I was much help with anything. All I could do is sit and watch the firemen come and go. That is what I remember about the fire. The people who helped.Some of them were people I barely knew if at all. It was amazing.  The fireman, the friends and family that stepped in. It left a mark on me. That fire made me want to try to help families who have suffered from fire and other losses. 
"I promise Mrs. Truvy, not to let my personal tragedy affect my ability to do beautiful hair!" Steel Magnolias - the original movie. Sorry that movie just pops into my head from time to time, as it did here.
 
  But seriously we have all had our share and some of us have had more than our share of tragedy and if you are one of the few who has not, well then, I am very, very happy for you. What is important is to give to share, it teaches us appreciation and restores our faith in human nature and brings us back closer to God..  
  

As part of the charities being featured this month I found two really deserving and inspiring charities to share with you today. 

Operation Shoebox


This charity is for the troops. They fill boxes with needed supplies and try to fill specific requests and needs.
For example they were in need of softball equipment, personal hygiene supplies (travel sized), and used golf clubs. 
If you don't know what to do with all that left over Halloween Candy, send it to Operation Shoebox and they will get it over to our troops! Every year Operation Shoebox will go through tons of candy that they send to our troops and would be happy to have your left overs!  

Operation Christmas Child

The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God's love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Many of these countries are closed to church's of any kind. This may be the only opportunity to share that love with a child. 
You can follow your box on it's journey if you donate online. You can also fill a shoe box yourself. Let your heart be your guide as to what to put in the box. If you want an idea of what has been sent in the past please take a look at their website.
We will be doing this project with our children. It is a really good experience.
Now I know some of you are saving why send it away when so many here in the states are in need. This is the good part so listen up. They serve our country as well. You don't designate where your box is sent but just know that every box is guided by God's hand to a child who needs it. 

Local idea

A fun local idea is to spoil one family in need. If everyone "spoiled" one family with food, warm blankets, hygiene products, little toys, school supplies, warm socks or shoes, hat, gloves etc...every year we would have such a happy community. So if the shoebox and Christmas child aren't up your alley "spoil" a family. Your soul will thank you.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment